Ceramic Dental crowns have a range of cosmetic and restorative uses. Dental crowns is a treatment that is used to provide support for damaged teeth and to mask any discolouration from decay or old Amalgam fillings.
The treatment generally requires two appointments in which during the first appointment the tooth is cleaned and prepared for the placement of the new crown, pictures of the desired shade and colour as well as a precise mold is taken to ensure that the new crown is tailored fit to that tooth and that tooth only. It’s definitely not a treatment that can be successful by “one size fits all” crowns.
The result is a seamless tooth that it will discreetly blend in with surrounding teeth.
The benefits of crowns include:
- Support of teeth that were damaged by decay or root canal treatment
- Hold together a tooth that has a crack
- Restore length and size of a worn down tooth
- Mask discolourations
- Provide protection of teeth are risk of fractures
- Hold a bridge for a missing tooth
The risks of crowns include:
- Poor bite: If the crown is not properly made and shaved down, it can result in a poor bite
- Tooth decay: If the tooth is not bonded properly then bacteria can cause decay at the unsealed margins
- Infection: If the tooth is not thoroughly cleaned before the crown predations an infection can develop
- Other risks
- Allergies: Rarely, an allergic reaction may occur to porcelain or one of the materials used to form the crown.
The risks and benefits of a dental crown should be considered and discussed with the dentist to ensure that the best recommendation and tailored procedure is followed.
As an example, a severely broken tooth might be restored with a filling or a crown. The filling will be cheaper and quicker, however it will not provide protection and runs the risk of the tooth fracturing further and be extracted needing a replacement all together. A crown on the other hand might more expensive initially, however it generally lasts longer and provide protection to that tooth.
If you are interested in any dental treatment or think that you can benefit from dental treatment such as of dental crowns or porcelain veneers, contact us today. Dental crowns and porcelain veneers are a great way to improve the appearance of your smile.